There are a lot of potential gases that could exist in your home. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that can come from such items as household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none are as hazardous as carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it needs to be taken very seriously. This toxic gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can filtrate its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how large the crack is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can lead to death very quickly, or the toxic gas could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things.
You absolutely cannot risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some steps you can take:
- If you do not have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Strand Brothers Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Austin to purchase one. Ask us about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect.
- If you have a carbon monoxide detector, be sure to regularly check or replace the batteries. Testing should be done every three months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years.
- If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or experience flu-like or other symptoms described above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can protect your family from its dangers. Get the protection you need and call Strand Brothers Service Experts in Austin at 512-592-3072 to learn more.