Spring is wonderful for more than a few reasons: flowers bloom, you can open up windows for outdoor air and your power bill is normally at its lowest. That’s because you’re not using your heating or air conditioner.
But as temps begin to climb, so do your energy bills. Here are some tips for saving energy in Austin and keeping costs down.
1. Book Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it operate more efficiently and scale down costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep power costs down.
If your HVAC equipment has experienced better days, spring is a good time to replace it. The energy-saving features in modern air conditioning systems is an obvious benefit for keeping your utility charges down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on home comfort charges. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
Focusing on how to efficiently schedule your thermostat is the best way to lower energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Think of it this way, the smaller the difference between exterior temperatures and indoor temperatures, the cheaper your cooling cost will be.
- When you’re out, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or switch it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty residence.
3. Take Advantage of Other Methods to Cool Your Home
You can turn to a couple other methods to help keep your residence at the right temperature:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise in the summer, which forces cool air upward. This disperses cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your residence comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny spaces.
4. Consider Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and immediately realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats figure out your routine and adjust the temp when you’re not around to help you save on your bills. You can also adjust the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These expert suggestions will all help keep summer energy charges economical. If you conclude it’s time to modernize your thermostat or need AC installation, call us at 512-592-3072 or contact us online. We’ll help you choose the best product for your home. And as usual, all our services are endorsed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.