Spring is great for more than a few reasons: flowers bloom, you can open up windows for fresh air and your power bill is often at its lowest. That’s because you’re not using your heating or air conditioner.
But as temps begin to rise, so do your energy bills. Here are some suggestions for saving energy in Austin and keeping bills down.
1. Schedule Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system an annual tune-up can help it operate more efficiently and scale down costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep power costs low.
If your HVAC equipment has experienced better days, spring is an excellent time to replace it. The energy-saving features in newer AC systems is an obvious benefit for keeping your utility bill down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling charges. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Figuring out how to effectively schedule your thermostat is the best way to lower energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Consider it this way, the less significant the difference between exterior temperatures and indoor temperatures, the cheaper your cooling cost will be.
- When you’re out, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or switch it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty residence.
3. Try Other Methods to Cool Your House
You can turn to a couple other approaches to help keep your residence at the right temperature:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise in the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This disperses cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it passes through windows. Keep your house comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny spaces.
4. Think About Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and immediately realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats figure out your routine and adjust the temp when you’re not around to help you save money. You can also adjust the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These expert suggestions will all help keep summer energy bills economical. If you think it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, call our team at 512-592-3072 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the right fit for your house. And as usual, all our services are endorsed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.