Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your residence, being comfy in your new area no matter the weather is key. However, they can create a unique problem for comfort. This is because adding ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the higher load, because it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most reasonably priced possibilities is to get a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Discover more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition might be a good fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Work
A ductless mini-split, since they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient as they move heat to make your space cozier. In reality, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for added rebates and reduce your heating and cooling costs for a long time.
Another special feature involves zoned heating and cooling. As each room typically has an individual indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is especially beneficial if you have a room with special temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Addition
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for areas that lack ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s wiser than installing ductwork and leaning on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is pricey. Installing ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the total amount will depend on your residence, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system may become overworked. When your present heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your residence prior to the addition. This may overwhelm your system and make it wear out faster.
- Your comfort might be impacted. As your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort could be reduced if your system has to cover a wider area. Your heating and cooling could be less powerful, and your utility costs may become costlier as a result of the system needing to turn on more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are available in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Strand Brothers Service Experts, we’ll help you choose the proper size for your new addition. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create sizable energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or more when adequately serviced. ENERGY STAR says having one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in contrast to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Strand Brothers Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you select the recommended model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Strand Brothers Service Experts can take care of all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently finished one, we can provide support. Give us a call at 512-592-3072 now to request a free consultation and estimate.