Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back into the home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than need be. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a few things you can do, other than of air conditioner service, to help keep the Austin heat out and help your air conditioner survive during the rest of the summer.
Here are seven tips from Strand Brothers Service Experts to help keep hot air outside:
- Block out the sun. A great deal of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by using solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, buy blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The spaces in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Take a look in your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can perform a sophisticated comfort performance assessment for you to discover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or displaying signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven create a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that might generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also give you shade and repel some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The ultimate impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After finding out about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the greatest option might simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips we’ve listed, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is working as it should be and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than you have to. Give Strand Brothers Service Experts in Austin or set up an appointment online to have an expert check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s running correctly.