Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is on? There’s probably something wrong with your unit. If you ignore it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—issues down the road. We’re going to help you understand what’s happening with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling usually indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can’t pinpoint where the noise is originating from, that’s alright. A professional can help verify where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can produce noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can come from a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is likely an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be due to a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A loud noise from your outdoor unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about frequent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are some cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s hard to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Usually, we recommend shutting down the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you suspect there’s something wrong with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it’s smart to get problems corrected right away. Calling a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Eight Upgrades to Boost Your Home HVAC System
During the cold winter months in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with easy and effective upgrades. It’s not simply about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about boosting efficiency and cleaning the very air you breathe.... Continue reading
How to Choose a Suitable HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable all year, nothing is more critical than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This choice influences your daily comfort, monthly utility costs and general home efficiency. But, with so many system types, sizes and... Continue reading
Year-End HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Now that the air starts to get cold, you know it’s time to winterize your residence for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is crucial to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace delivers the comfort you desire while using less energy. Scheduled inspections also make... Continue reading