When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Strand Brothers Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off prior to covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get strewn about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back out of your home, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Strand Brothers Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Austin, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Austin or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 512-592-3072 or schedule an appointment with Strand Brothers Service Experts through our online scheduler.