Each year over 20,000 people end up in the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is produced by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your family safe, Strand Brothers Service Experts is here with a couple tips to safety warm your home.
- Install a CO detector on all floors of your home and swap out the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a distance over three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Turn off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like concrete or tile. Keep young ones and animals away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, buy a model that powers off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Never use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally examined and cleaned yearly.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to be sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping you warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Strand Brothers Service Experts will check to be sure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 512-592-3072 today and learn how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.