All About Mini-Split Air Conditioners: What They Are and How They Cool
Most homeowners are most familiar with central air conditioners.
Mini-split systems are a kind of ductless heating and cooling. Rather than providing conditioned air to the total house through a network of air ducts, they heat and cool one room at a time. This provides more direct temperature control, increasing comfort and energy efficiency.
How Do Mini-Split Air Conditioners Work?
Mini-splits most closely resemble heat pumps in the way they cool. Both kinds of equipment deliver electric cooling, just like an air conditioner. This requires using refrigerant to extract heat from in a building and issuing that warm air outside. Then, a reversing valve permits the system to work backward, adding warmth to your house in the winter by pulling heat from outdoor air and bringing it inside.
The main difference between mini-splits and heat pumps is that mini-split systems don’t need ductwork. Alternatively, the indoor unit has a built-in air handler, which mounts directly to the wall or ceiling in the room you wish to heat and cool. Copper tubes, wiring and a condensate drain line join to an outdoor condensing unit through a small conduit in the wall. This exterior component looks like an air conditioner or heat pump condenser.
Several indoor units can connect to one outdoor condenser, allowing you to heat and cool your complete house with this system if desired. This set-up also makes zoning feasible, a highly attractive feature that lets you customize when, where and how much you heat and cool individual rooms.
Is a Ductless Mini-Split the Best Option for My Residence?
Mini-splits are a good option for many households. Think over these reasons why installing a ductless mini-split may be right for your needs:
- You can heat and cool an entire home that doesn’t have existing ductwork.
- You can switch off the heat and air conditioning in unoccupied rooms to save on your heating and cooling expenses.
- Mini-splits give extra heating and cooling for rooms that are hard to keep cozy.
- Use a ductless system to heat and cool a house addition or enclosed patio without the cost of adding ductwork or the inconvenience of using window AC units.
- Mini-splits are the natural choice for spaces where ductwork is impractical. A few examples are period homes, tiny homes, temperature controlled sheds or workshops, or garage conversions.
What are the Pluses of a Mini-Split System?
Ductless mini-splits are extremely capable systems, but you may still be considering why you would want to install it over a common furnace and air conditioner. Here’s why more the U.S. homeowners are using ductless mini-splits:
- Avoid the hidden issues of ductwork: By giving heated and cooled air directly, air doesn’t pass through leaky air ducts on its way to all rooms. This can save you upward of 30 percent on your heating and cooling expenses. Also, if your house doesn’t already use ducts, you avoid the hassle and price associated with putting them in.
- Choose the ideal temp for all rooms: With zoned heating and cooling from a ductless mini-split, you can keep an office chilly while maintaining a warm nursery—all while optimizing energy efficiency.
- Save money and energy by not heating and cooling empty spaces: Closing supply registers in a central HVAC system can disturb it, straining the equipment and negating any potential savings. But with independent air handlers in all rooms, you can heat and cool specific rooms only when you need them.
Rely on Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing to Install Your Mini-Split Air Conditioner
Much like common HVAC systems, ductless mini-splits require meticulous sizing and Expert installation to provide the best performance. Our knowledgeable mini split installers in the U.S. can help you determine if a mini-split system will meet your needs. We can then help you with determining the correct equipment size and model to make your residence as comfortable and energy-efficient as possible.
For extra info, or to schedule an appointment, get in touch with Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing at 866-397-3787. You can also schedule an appointment online.
How to Choose a Suitable HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable all year, nothing is more critical than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This choice influences your daily comfort, monthly utility costs and general home efficiency. But, with so many system types, sizes and... Continue reading
Year-End HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Now that the air starts to get cold, you know it’s time to winterize your residence for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is crucial to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace delivers the comfort you desire while using less energy. Scheduled inspections also make... Continue reading
HVAC Trends: What’s New in 2024
In the continuously changing world of home HVAC, keeping up with the latest HVAC trends is imperative for homeowners seeking to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. Looking into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing new technologies and trends that promise to transform... Continue reading