Prevention is the most essential place to begin. Completing correct safety precautions will decrease your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in Austin.
Here are a couple steps you can take to keep your family protected:
- Idle your car outside your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours on in the restricted space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t use ovens or grills for heat. These appliances are safe when used properly but can produce carbon monoxide when used for an extended period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, since it creates fumes.
- Have your chimney examined by a pro. This verifies chimneys and vents aren’t blocked and connected correctly.
- Confirm gas appliances are working correctly, including your furnace. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe operation by scheduling yearly furnace maintenance with Strand Brothers Service Experts.