Prevention is the most essential place to start. Doing appropriate safety precautions will decrease your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in Austin.
Here are several steps you can take to keep your family protected:
- Idle your car outside your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours going in the small space of a garage. The same applies for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t use ovens or grills for heat. These things are safe when used properly but can produce carbon monoxide when used for an extended period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, since it creates fumes.
- Have your chimney examined by a specialist. This verifies chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected correctly.
- Confirm gas appliances are running accurately, including your furnace. You can make sure you’re getting efficient, safe heating by scheduling yearly furnace maintenance with Strand Brothers Service Experts.