What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless and tasteless gas. It’s created by incomplete fuel combustion usually caused by insufficient oxygen. In your house, appliances that consume natural gas, charcoal, wood or kerosene are susceptible. Especially if they are not operating properly or have been installed improperly.

Vehicle exhaust fumes from attached garages, as well as poorly operating fireplaces can also be a carbon monoxide source. CO is poisonous to the body and is fatal at heightened levels or with long exposure.