If you think you may have a gas leak, evacuate your home and call 911 immediately.
Signs of a gas leak may include the following:
- The smell of sulfur or “rotten eggs”
- Hissing or blowing sounds from appliances attached to the gas line, like gas stoves, or sounds from the gas source itself
- Dead or discolored grass, plants or other vegetation
- People inside the home having symptoms such as dizziness, nausea or fatigue
If you are dealing with any of these signs and are concerned they could be due to a gas leak, get out of your home and call 911 right away, followed by your utility company.
In some cases, the utility company will fix a gas leak, but in a lot of cases the homeowner is responsible. Fortunately, the team at Strand Brothers Service Experts are fully trained to install or repair gas lines and we pride ourselves on getting the job done right, and more importantly, safely. Not to mention that all our work comes with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee*!
GAS LINE REPAIR IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD NEVER DO AS A DIY PROJECT.
While there are a number of things to do around the house that homeowners choose to take on by themselves, gas line repair should to be left up to the specialists. It is the only way to make sure that your gas lines are both safe and effective, as well as up to all Austin codes.
From installing gas lines for a new stove or oven to doing repairs on gas lines for a heater in your garage, Strand Brothers Service Experts’s experiences in the industry have allowed us to do a host of gas line projects in the Austin community, so no job is too big or too small for our experts.
Gas Leak and Carbon Monoxide Safety
As mentioned before, the first thing you need to do if you are concerned about a gas leak is evacuate your home and then call 911 promptly. After emergency responders are coming your way, get ahold of your utility company.
Once the emergency responders and utility company have made sure there is no danger, call Strand Brothers Service Experts to arrange a gas line repair, installation or replacement.
Poisonous gases, including natural gas and carbon monoxide, ought to be taken very seriously. Be sure you have carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home and call 911 right away if you’re ever worried about a gas leak or carbon monoxide in your home. Unlike natural gas, carbon monoxide does not have an odor and can’t be easily detected. The EPA recommends the following steps to lower exposure to carbon monoxide:
- Keep gas appliances safely adjusted.
- Put in and use an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
- Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
- Have a well-versed professional inspect, clean and tune up your central heating systems (including furnaces, flues and chimneys) annually and repair any leaks right away.
For more pointers on how to safely heat your home and avoid carbon monoxide issues, visit our blog.